The 405 expansion project, or Carmageddon 2 begins the evening of Friday, Sept 28 at 7 p.m. The I-405 freeway will be closed between the I-10 and US-101. While it’s not exactly an apocalyptic event, Carmageddon 2 is keeping legions of car-loving Southlanders home this weekend. But if road travel is unavoidable, it might be helpful to know the Carmageddon 2 schedule and alternative routes to avoid a traffic mess.
The Carmageddon 2 Schedule
Friday, Sept. 28
- Ramps start closing at 7 p.m.
- Freeway lanes will begin closing at 10 p.m.
- By midnight, the 405 Freeway will be completely closed.
From Saturday through Sunday, Sept. 28-29.
- Southbound 405 will be closed from the U.S. 101 to Getty Center Drive.
- Northbound 405 Freeway will be closed between the 1-10 and U.S. 101 freeways.
The 405 Freeway will reopen Monday, Oct. 1 for the morning rushhour traffic.
By 6 a.m., all ramps and connecters should reopen.
- Officials are encouraging drives to take side streets such as Sepulveda Blvd, which will offer access to the 405 freeway after Getty Center Drive.
- Officials also suggest using Beverly Glen Blvd., Benedict Canyon, Laurel Canyon and Coldwater Canyon as other alternate routes.
- Click here [PDF] for routes to Orange County, Santa Barbara, Valley Cities and the Inland Empire.
Alternative Highway routes,
Other highways such as the US. -101, the I-10 going south, and the 405 on the North are open.
-- Courtesy of Metropolitan Transit Authority