.

Courtyard Marriott Evacuated After Fire Scare

A malfunctioning air conditioner sent smoke into rooms, prompting firefighters to evacuate the hotel late Thursday night.

A faulty air conditioner sent smoke into rooms and prompted the evacuation of all hotel guests at the on Huntington Drive Thursday night.

Emergency personnel received a call from the hotel at 9:58 p.m., Monrovia Police Lt. Jaime Alfaro said.

Janice Vane Steeg, the general manager of the hotel, said there was minimal property damage caused by the incident and no one was injured.

"It was just a few minutes and it was an air conditioner and some of the wires melted that caused some smoke," she said.

Guests could be seen waiting outside the hotel before 11 p.m. as firefighters continued to move in and out of the building. Police cars blocked off Huntington from Monterey Avenue to Fifth Avenue.

The Arcadia Fire Department and Los Angeles County Fire Department each sent fire engines to the scene.

Christina Ciancia, a guest at the hotel who was waiting outside to be let back in, said that she never knew there was a problem until she looked outside her window and saw fire trucks arrive. She received a knock at her door shortly thereafter.

"They said, 'Please evacuate.'"

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »