A fire erupted in a Myrtle Avenue business and could have caused irreparable damage if a local business owner hadn't called 9-1-1, authorities said.
Monrovia firefighters responded to a fire at a custom tile business in the 2600 block of South Myrtle Avenue that broke out just after 9 p.m. Saturday, according to Monrovia Fire Capt. Scott Dewey.
The fire was reported by Sal Vila, the owner of neighboring business Joy Printing. Vila said he happened to stop by his print shop Saturday night and smelled smoke.
Dewey said Vila's call probably saved the business, which just opened about a week ago.
"Fortunately we got it in the early, incipient stages," Dewey said. "Another 15 minutes and this building would have been blowing through the roof."
Dewey said the likely cause of the blaze was some cardboard that had been stacked next to a kiln used to fire the tile. Firefighters were able to isolate the fire to the cardboard and prevent any structural damage, he said.
Vila said huge flames were visible from the alley behind the tile shop before firefighters put the fire out. Charred debris was scattered behind the alley as firefighters blasted the asphault with water Saturday night.